Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Last Days in Iceland

Well lurkers, it is finally time to head home. I'm blogging this from my seat at the gate in Keflavik airport on my way out of Iceland. Yesterday I wandered around Reykjavik, some on the bicycle and some on foot. It started raining later in the day, so I packed the bike up and said that was that.

Is it just me or is that Cathedral extraordinarily phallic?

Went to a couple of interesting museums... the first was the Icelandic equivalent of a wax museum. Statues of Viking types slaughtering each other. Witches being burned. Bishops beheaded. All good stuff. After that I visited the National Gallery, which had modern paintings about the environment and our distruction of it. Also happy stuff. Think Edward Munch but darker.

I'm beginning to think that living here does something to people after a bit.

Today I revisited the Blue Lagoon on my way to the airport. It really is blue as you can see. Apparently it is the exhaust water from the new geothermal powerplant you can see in the distance. You wade around in this stuff. Its like a really nice hot bath that never gets cold. Pretty great really. The building is really nice. This view from inside of it looks out through the restaurant and to the populated part of the lagoon. Busy place, even on a rainy Wednesday. Supposedly it will make me live longer. Or at least I'll have nice skin tone when all those Vikings catch up to me!

So there you have it! Waiting for the plane. Hopefully I'll make it to the next connection in Minneapolis!

Cheers!

No comments: