Monday, April 28, 2008

A scary ascent...

Today we (the class) climbed to the top of the local bell tower. Recently restored and not yet open to the public (read, still dusty). I took some pictures with my little Cannon camera, all I had on me at the time. I don't know how they'll come out, will try to get them onto my computer tonight or tomorrow.

In any case, this bell tower was amazing. Its some 50 meters tall (read 150 feet). Solid brick. The walls at the base are very thick and the stairs crawl up through a tunnel in the brick. Then about half way up things open up. The walls get thinner and the stairs change into new ones installed during the restoration. They are a single I-beam running up the middle with wooden treads mounted to them. Glass side walls and open space between the treads.

So you are in a large, high-ceilinged room inside the tower and the stairs run around the edges a couple of times. Then they leap straight across the open space and up into an opening in the ceiling to the next higher room. The stair structure is pretty flexy. As you walk you feel it bounce a little bit. Totally freaky.

You do this process all over again at the next level up, then arrive at a narrow ledge running around the bells. These are pretty decent sized bells, two of them hooked up to the local clock. We happened to be up there when it struck 12:30... scared the bejeusus out of us. We all grabbed the railing at the first strike... hadn't known it was coming. The walkway is fence and railed securely, but narrow and sloped towards the edge. And very high. A great view. It is a long way down to the pavement below. Little tiny police cars in front of the local carbinari office.

I totally recommend this if you ever come to Macerata. :^)

- Brian -

2 comments:

HOG said...

So what is the world going to do with all these newby architects? Soon it will be like lawyers.

Thanks for getting the blog back and going. I can see that throngs of people are visiting and writing. Oh well, I guess it will just me being a smart alec by myself.

Hang in there!

- Brian - said...

Yes, I always wonder if anybody is really out there...!

I got a great travel guide before I left... will pass it along to you and Pam before your next trip here. It is out of the slow-foods movement... lots of great out of the way places listed.

- B -