Monday, May 05, 2008

Bike Trip #1


Well the bike got unpacked and taken for a ride on Saturday! I rode from Macerata out to the coast, to a town named Civitanova Marche. The "Marche" part, by the way, is related to the time of Charlemagne and the second Roman Empire. This region "Marked" the northern extent of the Empire at one point or another.

Anyhow, the bike ride was great. I crossed over to a ridge to the North of Macerata, then rode east along the ridgetop through three hill towns on the way. Morrovalle was particularly lovely. The last of the three, Civitanova Alta stands above Civitanova Marche near the ocean. A study group I am in will be studying this town for our town form class starting this week. So it was nice to have the chance to visit there ahead of time.

After Civitanova Alta I had to drop down to Civitanova Marche and dip my wheel into the ocean. Its actually a little difficult to get to the ocean! First, the beaches are public but the access to them is not. You have to cut through one of the little private restaurants or hotels that line the road. The beach itself is rocky, not sandy. And the traffic in Civitanova Marche was hellish. I finally decided that I had to act like a motorcycle. Just make sure they see you and go for it. As long as you move they put up with it.

So I dipped my wheel in the Adriatic and headed back for home. I came home along a road in the valley, nice because no hills but much busier than the ride out. And when I got back I still had to climb the hill up to Macerata anyhow. Which was tough at the end of the day!

One final stop along the way was at one of the churches we visited the day before... I'd lost a drawing pencil that I was hoping to find there but didn't. I did get a really lovely view of one of the alabaster windows lit up from the western sun however...

But the bike did really well. I had it tuned up in February and it is operating nicely. I'm already planning my next venture! There are more pictures here...

- B -

1 comment:

ann said...

Your photos and commentary bring back such terrific memories of my trip to Italy 3 years ago. Wish I were there! You're so luck, Brian!