Monday, May 12, 2008

Yet another bike ride...

Saturday I was a slug. But Sunday I got out and rode off into the hills again. Except this time I went West instead of East and so found bigger hills. I was going to head for a town near the mountains called San Ginesio but it was so hazy in that direction I figured it wasn't the right day to make that effort. So I turned North and started following some random bike route signs out in the country. Ended up at an old Abbey, had some lunch, went up to the very nice (small) town of Tréia, and from there decided that I could make it over to the town of Cingoli. Only problem was that Cingoli was on top of a really big hill. I mean, most of the towns I've been visiting are a couple hundred meters up. Cingoli was 600m up!

I could see a smaller road on the map leading up there, so I turned up on to where I thought it should be. Things were looking good when I made a wrong turn (or maybe a right one) into a little cul-de-sac. There was a guy working on his car there and I asked if I was going the right way. He tries to point me back down the hill and around, and I'm trying to point up the hill, and finally he points that way and goes "Si, si, Cingoli..." but "bruté, bruté"! I decided that "bruté" was not what I needed and went back down and around. Just as well, the regular road was bruté enough for me.

Not too many photos from this day... you've seen one hill town you've seen them all right? I did get into the middle of one square right after church was letting out and the town was celebrating first communion for all the young people. Really neat. Had several Italians engage me in conversation about my crazy bike (at least I think that was what they were talking about), and one man (82?) tell me all about the war and working in Germany and France and... fixing doors was it? A mix of English, Italian and French seems to be working pretty well for me. And it is fun to get out away from the crowd so that people want to visit.

Just a few more pictures here...

- B -

No comments: