Wednesday, October 11, 2006







It is the next week and I am frantically posting this before my batteries run down. Does that count in my two-hundred words?

I have successfully brought my little laptop to it's knees this week using Sketchup. I first designed a lattice based on one the pictures on Nancy's site that I liked a whole lot...

You can see the page of lattice images above. I chose the second from the top because I liked the asymmetrical nature of the design. It turned into a beautiful lattice in sketchup. I formed tubes that represented wrought iron bars and framed the lattice with a wood surround.

The first thing I discovered was that since lines have no width, you have to encase them in tubes to make shadows from them. Which means that the lattice model was really huge.
But it did make beautiful shadows.

I then added a walkway around my sundial from last week, added several bench models from the standard sketchup parts, and then tried to create small outdoor rooms around the benches using the framed lattice screens. I would have liked to have gotten further but it appears that I need more memory or better memory management or something. Although I was able to do a lot by shutting off layers and working with the remaining components. Still, when it came time to turn everything on and take a picture... it was tough!

No comments: