Sunday, June 22, 2008

Project progress...




Just a quick note to say that I've been working hard on my museum project. It changed quite a lot since the last review and I'm feeling very good about it. Here are a few photos of a quick sketch model I built to see how it would feel. For space reasons I had to straighten up the exterior walls and then I decided to make the light openings vertical instead of horizontal and carry them across the roof.
I've done a lot of work tweaking the organization of the spaces... there is a ramp down the outside curve of the museum which has to be handicap accessible. Which means a maximum slope of 1:12 and a flat landing space every 0.7 meter drop. I carefully lined up the landings such that the structural beams run right through them so that the ramp doesn't conflict with the building structure. Its pretty slick.

You will also notice the use of pizza boxes for materials. Modeling materials are hard to come by here in Macerata. As are a variety of other useful materials. Such as trace paper which is at a premium here these days.

- B -

No comments: